Tuesday, March 23, 2010

National Tuna Melt Day!

A strange thing happened today. I posted on facebook that I was making a tuna melt for lunch. To my surprise I quickly received numerous posts from friends that they either had food made with tuna or had even made a tuna melt themselves. I'm sure this can be attributed to pure coincidence but what if it wasn't.

People seek comfort foods for many reasons. For example people eat sweet foods such as ice cream to fight depression. They will eat hot soup to balance out a cold winter's day, or a child gets a box of cookies in the mail to fight homesickness while off at summer camp. I feel strongly that a tuna melt is one of those foods.

A tuna melt strikes a nostalgic chord in me. It takes me back to a simpler time of my childhood when I had the world ahead of me and finding happiness was as easy as getting in the hot lunch line in the school cafeteria. I remember later on in life of so many late night diner sessions where tuna melts provided sustenance after a long day's rehearsal. It is no wonder that on a dreary March afternoon, when I'm barricaded in my living room with my laptop and dog as my closest companions, I want nothing more than a tuna melt to escape.

I'm sure others must feel the same while looking through a menu or opening the fridge. They want something warm, and satisfying that won't break the bank. They think, "I just paid my taxes; maybe I shouldn't spend too much on lunch this year." I can't think of a better food during Lent. They think, "I want something that will make me happy."

For these reasons I declare (because I have the highest authority ;-) ) that today, March 23, be known as National Tuna Melt Day!

To celebrate here are some great tuna melt recipes:
http://www.starkist.com/template.asp?section=recipes/sandwiches/classicmelt.html
http://tunamelt.com

5 comments:

  1. Dude, your blog is awesome. It inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! Tuna melts are the bomb. If I still ate fish, I would totally have one with sharp cheddar, mayo, and a little oregano and basil mixed into the tuna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just hafta say that Fish are healthy

    ReplyDelete